Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Angels and Demons and Hollywood


I think that it's very hard to make a movie that contains a lot of religious references and practices without offending somebody in today's politically correct world. Religion has always been a taboo subject when it comes to mass marketed entertainment. That is the one thing that will very rarely be made fun of by a comedian, unless he/she is of that religion and is poking fun at themselves. The same is true with movies, because a movie will generally show how the director feels towards religion, no matter how neutral they try to remain, there will always be a bit of personal opinion evident in their work. I know that after watching Da Vinci Code, I felt that it was very aggressive towards the catholic religion, and although I wasn't personally offended, I could see how someone else could be quite easily. I just think that with any media today it is impossible to please everyone, so filmmakers have to make their movies for the intended audience and shrug off any criticism that comes their way from someone else. However, I know that this would be very difficult to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment