Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The epidemic that is Twitter


Blink and you'll miss it. We just started talking about Twitter a month ago, and it's already totally mainstream. I'll give you an example: last sunday I went to a London Knights game (great game by the way, go London!) and on the way in I was listening to FM96. Not only did the current DJ mention that you could follow her on twitter, but she also had a conversation about how many famous people also have twitter. Then, during the second intermission of the game, their was this big announcement on the jumbo-tron that you could now also follow the London Knights and everything that they did on twitter, some players even had their own site so that you could follow your favourite player. I personally do not have Twitter, and do not plan on getting it either. Twitter reminds me too much of Facebook, a huge fad where everyone has it, then all of a sudden, no one uses it anymore. I despise Facebook because I realised how useless it was. I would find myself commenting on someone's vacation pictures that I only knew through a friend who knew someone who was dating someone else. I also spent way too much time on people's sites that I barely knew, finding out private little facts that I wouldn't have known if I wasn't creeping their page. This lead to the realisation that people could, and were, doing the same thing to me. I also hate all the stupid groups and applications you get requests for (so-and-so wants you to be a pirate with them- come join the fun!). So, about two or three months ago, i deleted all my groups, all my apps, and all my personal info. I know that Twitter is just going to be the same thing, so I'm not even giving it a shot.

1 comment: