Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ken Robinson's Talk

Today we watched a video online of Ken Robinson giving a speech on education and creativity. He was discussing how the school systems are educating children to not be creative. He was pointing out how the school system labels mistakes as the worst thing that a child can do, this leads students to fear being wrong. When they are afraid to be wrong, they don't want to take risks and therefore won't think up anything that is new and different. I completely agree with Ken Robinson's argument. I have personally experienced how the education system limits creativity. I like to think that I am fairly creative, but sometimes I have felt that my creativity does not fit in with the english and mathematical sense of the education system. I think that we need to radically change our education system.

1 comment:

  1. I agree: the school system needs to put more of an emphasis on the arts, and not brush it aside like its doing now. Nice blog, I agree with everything you said. And it is true about all of us having a fear of being wrong. Think about it: the worst thing you can do is to fail a class...failing is being wrong, thus we're afraid to fail.
    Now, failing a class probably isn't the best thing in the world, but its certainly not the worst.

    ReplyDelete